Ofstead & Associates, Inc.
Cleaning verification tests for flexible endoscopes
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|
Eligible for 1.0 contact hour | HSPA | CBSPD | RN |
New standards require cleaning verification tests for every high-risk endoscope, every time. This webinar discusses several types of cleaning verification tests and explains how to use them and interpret results. The presenters share their real-world experience using these tests with photos, videos, and case studies. Participants will learn strategies for setting up their own sustainable cleaning verification programs and using the findings to improve reprocessing outcomes.
By the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the rationale for verifying cleaning effectiveness before sterilization or HLD
- List at least three types of biochemical tests for organic soil
- Explain methods for collecting samples and conducting cleaning verification tests
- Describe current guidelines for cleaning verification during reprocessing of flexible endoscopes
- Outline strategies for designing and implementing a cleaning verification program
- Rationale for performing cleaning verification tests
- How to conduct cleaning verification tests
- Setting expectations for cleaning verification findings
- Interpreting and acting on findings from cleaning verification tests
- Strategies for implementing a cleaning verification program
- Sponsor acknowledgement (supported by an educational grant from Healthmark)
Cori L. Ofstead, MSPH
President & CEO, Ofstead & Associates
Cori L. Ofstead, MSPH, is an epidemiologist with 30 years of experience designing and conducting studies about the impact of clinical processes on patient outcomes. She has served as the Principal Investigator on numerous studies related to infection prevention, instrument reprocessing, and vaccination against infectious diseases. Ms. Ofstead is nationally recognized for her groundbreaking research, and her studies have been published in peer-reviewed journals including CHEST, AJIC, ICHE, Journal of Hospital Infection, Gastroenterology Nursing, and Vaccine. She currently serves as a reviewer for AJIC, Endoscopy, and the Journal of Urology, and is an active member of the editorial board for AJIC. She has presented the findings of her studies at national and international conferences sponsored by the CDC, APIC, IAHCSMM, AORN, SGNA, AGA, and several universities. In addition, she currently serves as a preceptor for epidemiology students in the School of Public Health at the University of Minnesota.
Krystina M. Hopkins, MPH
Research Manager, Ofstead & Associates
Krystina Hopkins is a research manager with Ofstead & Associates, Inc. where she leads projects related to reprocessing effectiveness and environmental health, including chronic conditions, vaccination, radiation hygiene, and healthcare costs. She has an MPH in environmental health, specializing in infectious disease. Her research has been published in AJIC, ICHE, Endoscopy International Open, Journal of Wound Care, Urology, AORN Journal, BI&T (AAMI's journal), and HSPA's PROCESS magazine. Ms. Hopkins has over fourteen years of hands-on health and healthcare-related research experience in diverse in-patient and outpatient settings. Prior to joining Ofstead in 2017, she supported clinical trials in environmental health, health economics, and community-based research as a research project manager at Medica Research Institute. Ms. Hopkins was also involved with projects related to molecular and microbiology, epidemiology, infectious disease, and occupational health in various roles at the University of Minnesota and the Minnesota Department of Health.